The Iowa Mental Health Counselors Association (IMHCA) is dedicated to meeting the professional needs of all mental health counselors in Iowa in an intentionally inclusive manner.
IMHCA is a chapter of the American Mental Health Association (AMHCA). From the establishment of IMHCA as a professional organization, board members have worked to promote quality mental health services for all people, distinguish the identity of the profession, and influence public policy to maintain standards of care and opportunities in line with our professional ethics and values. IMHCA accomplishes this through continuing education, professional connection, and advocacy. It is important to IMHCA that we work with other professional organizations, the state legislature, state regulatory agencies, and individuals served by counselors to promote quality in mental health counseling practices.
Quality mental health services across the state.
- Providing mental health counselors with continuing education opportunities to update and enhance their competencies
- Forums for presentations and advancing the practice of counseling while helping professionals add to their resume/CV
- IMHCA hosts an annual conference
- IMHCA partners with other organizations and agencies to provide continuing education to mental health counselors
Professional Support and Connection
- Providing a public forum and network throughout Iowa for counselors to address the social and emotional needs of their clients
- Networking events such as coffee mingles, book club, and live interviews with subject experts
- Timely updates to IMHCA members through email, newsletters, board reporting, and an annual report
- Awards to recognize outstanding professionals and active IMHCA members
- Distinguish the profession
- Promoting high standards of professional commitment to persons who seek mental health counseling services in Iowa
- Promoting attainable licensure and certification for counselors on state and national levels
- Increasing awareness of the role and function of mental health counseling and counseling services to the public
- Aligning mission, purpose and values with other professional organizations to advance mental health services
- Supporting research into mental health concerns, counseling interventions, and their effectiveness