Mental Health Therapist with YESS (Des Moines)
YOUTH EMERGENCY SERVICES & SHELTER
918 SE 11th Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
TITLE: Mental Health Therapist
REPORTS TO: Chief Behavioral Health Officer
CLASSIFICATION: Full time, Production Based Pay
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Mental Health Therapist position provides assessment and therapy services to children, teens and/or families on an outpatient basis. Counseling services may include: outpatient mental health therapy through private insurance, Medicaid, or private pay; substance abuse services (with appropriate licensure); and short term counseling. This position may also provide therapy services and assessments to youth while they are residing in shelter.
- Master’s Degree in Counseling, Social Work, Psychology or related field
- Licensed in the state of Iowa; Applicants working toward independent licensure in their
field will be provided weekly individual and group supervision
- Clinical/counseling experience working with children and/or families
- Demonstrated ability to develop positive and collaborative relationships with clients,
families, colleagues and others in the human services field
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
DUTIES SPECIFIC TO THE POSITION:
- Provide evidence-based therapy services to youth and/or families on an outpatient basis
- Conduct intake and mental health assessments (as appropriate per licensure/credentials)
and make appropriate referrals
- Conduct individual and/or group therapy services for youth within the shelter if
- Maintain complete and up-to-date files for all clients
- Attend team meetings, clinical consultations, supervision, and other appropriate
meetings as assigned
- Meet billable expectations
- Clinical on call as assigned
- All other duties as assigned
- Health Insurance
- Prescription Drug Program
- Vision Discount Program
- Dental Insurance
- Life, accidental death, & dismemberment insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- 401(k) plan with employee match
- Employee Assistance Program
- Professional Development/Training Opportunities
To learn more about Youth Emergency Services and Shelter (YESS), our staff, and the services we provide to youth, visit our website at www.yessiowa.org.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The work environment requires an ability to sit or stand for extended periods. Work involves walking and running, talking and hearing to exchange information, and using hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment requires the employee be capable of pushing, pulling or lifting and/or carrying up to 25 pounds.
- The work requires an ability to perform techniques of Safe Crisis Management as needed and appropriate
- Noise level in work environment is generally low to moderate.
Youth Emergency Services & Shelter reserves the right to modify, interpret or apply this job description as needed to meet the needs of the agency, to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship remains at-will. These job requirements are subject to change to reasonable accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.
PLEASE SEND YOUR RESUME AND LETTER OF INTEREST TO:
Sara Swansen, Ph.D.
Chief Behavioral Health Officer
Youth Emergency Services and Shelter (YESS)