Licensure Information for Iowa Mental Health Professionals

The Iowa Department of Public Health Professional Licensure Bureau and their board of Behavioral Science Examiners oversee the practice, licensure, and continuing education requirements for all licensed mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists. See Chapter 31 of the Iowa Licensure of Mental and Family Therapists and Mental Counselors. For further specifics or to request a copy of the law, contact:

Iowa Board of Behavioral Science Examiners

Iowa Departments of Public Health

Professional Licensure 4th Floor

Lucas State Office Building

Des Moines, IA 50319-0075

Phone: 515-281-6959


Continuing Education Credits

Are you looking for Continuing Education Credits? The primary way IMHCA helps our members with this is to provide our annual conference. In addition, we allow other organizations to provide information about Continuing Education opportunities on our Facebook and Instagram pages. On our Facebook page, you need to look under the “Community” tab to find posts about CE opportunities. Please note: IMHCA does NOT endorse any of the Continuing Education opportunities posted on our social media platforms, so you must do your own research to determine if you believe the training offered is worthy of your time and resources. 

Telehealth useful Information:


Outreach Specialist
p. 787-502-2266

“Our research team published a comprehensive guide on online therapy with the goal of helping people better understand what it is, when it can help, and what to watch out for.

I want to share it with you because I believe it would be something you would be interested in.

We examined the leading online therapy services based on therapist credentials and certifications, HIPAA-compliance, and video and text services offered. You can find our guide here:”